Algester is a residential suburb of Brisbane, 17 km south of central Brisbane. It was detached from Acacia Ridge and named in 1972, after the main road in the district. The road's name dates from about 1910 when a local family formed it and gave the name Alcester, after an English town.
In 1968 Leighton Properties planned a suburban estate with the proposed name of 'Ridgewood Heights'. Whilst the estate's main access route retains that name, the Queensland Place Names Board substituted 'Algester' in 1972. The suburb was given an all-brick covenant, and houses were typically four-bedroom, low-set, with a rumpus room and double garage. Other styles included colonial, Cape Cod, Mexican and Spanish. Mature palm trees were planted along road medians and power lines installed underground.
There are a local shopping centre, a State primary school (1977) and a Catholic primary school (2004) on Ridgewood Road. While the interstate railway line flanks Algester's western boundary, the suburb has not been rewarded with a commuter railway station.
The main recreation area is Col Bennett Park, named after barrister, local sports patron and long-serving ALP Member for South Brisbane.
Algester's census populations have been: