Andergrove, a residential suburb, is 6 km north of central Mackay. Andergrove was in Pioneer Shire until 1994 when it was united with Mackay City.
A state primary school opened in 1939.
As Mackay's residential growth encroached Pioneer Shire's borders, an outer-area high school opened in 1986. Named Pioneer, the school is on the western edge of Andergrove, adjoining the suburb of Beaconsfield. The Anglican church opened a co-educational school, for classes 1-12 and boarders in 1988; Whitsunday Anglican primary and high school had around 700 pupils. Seven years later a Catholic primary school was opened in the north of Andergrove. In Oak Street near Pioneer high school there is Andergrove Central Square shopping centre.
Most housing in Andergrove dates from the decades of the recent school openings, or later as the spaces were filled in. Unsubdivided tracts remained in the mid-2000s. In these years house prices were buoyant: 'renovator's opportunities' started at $300,000 and modern well finished houses were priced at about double that figure.
Fire destroyed a row of four shops in Oak Street in 2014, including the vet clinic, newsagency and two takeaway stores.
Andergrove's census populations have been: