Ashmore, a Gold Coast suburb of over 11,000 people, is on the Nerang River, immediately south-west of Southport. It was named after a former farm property near neighbouring Benowa.
Although situated on the river, most of Ashmore lacks public access to the water. Exceptions are a couple of small parks; between privately owned frontages. There are three retirement villages and three neighbourhood shopping centres. The suburb's broad acres readily accommodated these facilities, together with extensive residential estates, built mainly during the 1970s and 80s. Canal estates are found further downstream at Benowa and Bundall.
Ashmore primary school (1978) is in the middle of the suburb, and Trinity Lutheran primary school (2002) and Gold Coast TAFE are at its northern and eastern edges respectively. The Catholic Aquinas College, Trinity Lutheran College and Benowa State high school are short distances outside Ashmore.
Nearly 90% of Ashmore's houses are detached dwellings and townhouses. Two-parent families with children comprise 45% of the total families, and single parent families with children are another 17%, adding to 62%. The equivalent proportions for Gold Coast are 40% and 18%.
Ashmore's census populations have been: