Beaconsfield, a residential suburb, is six km north-west of central Mackay. It was named after the Beaconsfield sugar estate which had a short-lived crushing mill, c1882-93.
When Beaconsfield was a far-flung outer area on the road to Habana, the Mackay Golf Club (1926) acquired land there and moved its course from the town common to its newly acquired venue (1928). The trip out there went through North Mackay and past the farms and into Pioneer shire.
Residential subdivisions expanded to Beaconsfield from Andergrove in the 1990s and a State primary school was opened in 1999. It is one of several catchment areas for the Pioneer high school (1986), immediately east of Beaconsfield.
Its census population in 2006 was 4770.