Bridgeman Downs, a residential suburb, is 12 km north-east of central Brisbane. It was gazetted as a suburb in 1977 and named after Henry Bridgeman who settled on the area north of Albany Creek Road bounded by Albany Creek, Beams Road and Bridgeman Road (1860).
Bridgeman's land was acquired by the Queensland Immigration Society and used for pig raising and field crops. It was farmed for 80 years until subdivided in 1957. The area was treated as an outlying part of Aspley, and as late as 1966 the Brisbane City Council acquired a section for the Pinaroo lawn cemetery.
Bridgeman Down's urbanisation began from its eastern (Aspley) boundary, mostly south of Albany Creek Road. No schools, no shopping centres, 'peaceful, upmarket and green', in marketing terms, Bridgeman Downs has a reputation as an exclusive suburb, some authorities preferring the word enclave. Some home sites sit on lots of one acre or more. There are extensive linear parks along Albany and Cabbage Tree Creeks. Bridgeman Downs retirement village (2001) has luxury villas. There are four churches - north of Albany Creek Road - including the Christian City Church (1986) and College. Shopping is done at Aspley Hypermarket or the McDowall neighbourhood centre.
Bridgeman Downs' census populations have been:
D.R. Teague, The history of Albany Creek, Bridgeman Downs and Eatons Hill, Stafford, Colonial Press, 1980