Bucca is a rural locality on the Kolan River, 28 km west of Bundaberg. The Kolan Valley's river flats were first planted for sugar in the early 1880s. At Bucca Crossing, where the river is crossed by a road from Kolan South, a school opened in 1889. It was known as Bucca Crossing until 1927, and then Bucca until its closure in 1964. (The origin of the name 'Bucca' is apparently unrecorded.)

Sugar planters had the benefit of a local crushing mill, the Invicta, from 1895 until 1918, and a cane tramway to the mill (1913). After the mill closed the tramway took the cane to the Fairymead mill near Bundaberg. One of the larger plantations was the Avondale, north of Bucca, and during the 1920s Bucca and Avondale were recorded as a common locality. There were the Avondale and Bucca Hotels, and the Bucca Hotel continues as a going concern.

Both the manager of the Avondale plantation and the teacher at the primary school in the 1920s had German surnames, and the Queensland Lutheran church history (1938) spoke of the 'promising preaching place' of Bucca with 51 members. The post office directory (1949) recorded almost monocultural sugar farming, with 44 cane growers and only a few other farmers (mainly dairying). There were also two stores and a public hall (1906).

Upstream of Bucca Crossing there is the Bucca 'Weir and a canoeing course. The undulating Kolan Valley has attracted rural/residential living.

Concerns were raised in late 2014 following rumours that the Bundaberg Regional Council and the Bundaberg Rowing Club were secretly negotiating a land swap, which would see a parcel of land up river exchanged for the recreation reserve near the rowers' clubhouse at the Bucca Weir.

Bucca's census populations have been:

Census DatePopulation

Lower Burnett and Kolan Localities entry

Copyright © Centre for the Government of Queensland, 2018. All rights reserved.
UQ Logo