Fairfield

Fairfield, a residential suburb, is 4.5 km south of central Brisbane. It was probably named after the property settled by W.D. Grimes, c1850, south of Dutton Park. A considerable part of the property consisted of wetland and lagoons, and was used for dairying.

The Grimes family established a Baptist church in 1865 on land which they donated. The church ministered to rural families, and the next significant civic improvement was the Corinda to Stanley Street railway line (1884) through Fairfield, along with a local post office.

Headwords: 
Copyright © Centre for the Government of Queensland, 2018. All rights reserved.
UQ Logo