Mutdapilly and Mutdapilly Shire

Mutdapilly is a rural village 20 km south of Ipswich. It is thought that the name derives from an Aboriginal expression describing a sticky or muddy gully.

In the 1860s the Ipswich Agricultural Reserve around the Warrill Creek was subdivided for farms. The area was also known as the Normanby Plains, and in 1874 the Normanby Plains primary school was opened at Mutdapilly. There were also Lutheran settlers west of Mutdapilly, and a number of local roads have German names.

Copyright © Centre for the Government of Queensland, 2018. All rights reserved.
UQ Logo