Cedar Grove and Cedar Vale are neighbouring rural/residential localities immediately south of Jimboomba, 44 km south of central Brisbane. They are separated by the Mount Lindesay Highway. Cedar Grove's northern boundary is the Logan River, and Cedar Vale's is Scrubby Creek, a tributary of the Logan.

Cedar Grove was the original name for both districts. The land was well forested with numerous softwoods (including cedar) and some hardwoods. Several farms had small dairy herds, and farmer and cheese maker, W.H. Couldrey, opened a cheese factory in 1892 in Cedar Grove Road near Couldrey Court. It was a short distance west of the Cedar Grove station on the railway line to Beaudesert (1888).

The post office directory of 1902 recorded the presence of a teacher, but archival indexes suggest that Cedar Grove School ran from 1923 until 1965.

In the late 1970s the 'Big Country' rural/residential estate with 4-5 ha allotments west of the railway was put on the market. Similar estates followed in most of Cedar Grove and Cedar Vale.

Cedar Grove's census populations were:

Census DatePopulation
1911138
193396
1947102
20062168
20112020

Cedar Vale's census populations were:

census datepopulation
20062317
20112971

Both areas were in Beaudesert Shire until 2008 when they were transferred to Logan City.

Copyright © Centre for the Government of Queensland, 2018. All rights reserved.
UQ Logo