Clontarf, a residential suburb on the Redcliffe peninsula, is immediately west of Woody Point and is the first suburb reached after crossing the Hornibrook Highway. It is 25 km north of central Brisbane.
Clontarf was the name of two of the numerous 'estate' subdivisions on the peninsula in the 1880s. Cowes and Belvidere estates, overlooking the present day Clontarf Beach, were also sold. These estates were less successful than others at Redcliffe and Woody Point, and the area's development did not occur until World War II.
Three years after the Hornibrook Highway was opened in 1935 Manuel Hornibrook built the shark-proof sea water pool at the end of Angus Street. On the other side of the highway the Peninsula Country Golf Club was opened in 1936.
In 1950 the Clontarf primary school was opened, and a Methodist church was built to replace the temporary army hut that had been constructed three years before. Just six years after Redcliffe high school was started (1958), the Clontarf high school was also opened. Although teaching there was classified as country service, the arrival of Clontarf high signified that south of the Peninsula was a well developed urban area. Grace Lutheran primary school opened in 1971. Eight years later Hornibrook Highway was replaced by the Houghton Highway, almost obliterating Clontarf Point.
Clontarf's western area comprises extensive wetlands adjoining Hays Inlet. All of the beach is backed by a foreshore reserve, and a recreation area includes Bells camping area north of the Hornibrook Esplanade. The Clontarf Bayside plaza (18 shops) was opened in 2002.
Clontarf's census populations have been :