Coalfalls, a residential suburb, is bounded on its north and west by the Bremer River and is 2 km north-west of central Ipswich.

In common with neighbouring Woodend the area was subdivided in the late 1840s, and an example of early slab construction and a later addition (1860) is 'Inglemere' 110 Williams Street. It was another house, however, which gave the suburb its name. The Blair family built 'Coalfalls' some way east at 43 Williams Street on a deep block running down to the river. Sir James Blair, politician and judge was later remembered by the Blair State School (1917) in neighbouring Sadliers Crossing. It is thought that 'Coalfalls' was inspired by coal seams visible on the river bank.

Coalfalls has several north-south ridges running up to Williams Street. Harlin Road is designated a heritage housing precinct, with several large dwellings taking advantage of the ridge-line position. The group at the Macrae Street corner consists of elegantly decorated timber Queenslanders. Another elevated street, Rowland Terrace to the west, is an unusual precinct for having workers' houses instead of the usual middle or upper-class dwellings found in such positions.

Coalfalls lies on a river crossing route where the Hancock Bridge links with Brassall. Originally a narrow timber bridge (1918), the modern concrete structure dates from the 1960s.

Coalfalls' census populations have been:

census datepopulation
2006906
20111073
Headwords: 
Copyright © Centre for the Government of Queensland, 2018. All rights reserved.
UQ Logo