Collingwood Park, a residential suburb, is 11 km east of central Ipswich and immediately south of Redbank. Its eastern and western boundaries are the Goodna and Six Mile Creeks respectively. It was named in 1982 by a land developer, possibly after the inner suburb of Collingwood in Melbourne.

The expression 'park' differentiated the suburb from Redbank, the site of several collieries and industries: a map, c1940, showed the area as devoid of any development apart from a perimeter road. An early temporary settlement was the 13th Australian Scout Jamboree, 1982-83.

The main thoroughfare is Collingwood Drive which runs north to the Redbank Plaza shopping centre. Namatjira Park has a memorial to the first labour strike in Queensland (1861), when miners at Redbank went out for a fortnight. Banjo Paterson Park, along Goodna Creek, has several playground and recreation facilities. Collingwood Park primary school was opened in 1986; it was followed by the opening of WoodLinks State school further to the south along Collingwood Drive in 2011.

Nineteen residents took the Queensland government to court in 2013 seeking compensation following subsidence at their Collingwood Park properties in 2008. Large cracks appeared in homes and roads when an old mine caused ground movement. A mining lease had been issued on the land in 1967 and the land mined for 7 years. About 40 homes were affected, with the government buying a number of properties. 

The census populations of Collingwood Park have been:

census datepopulation
20065305
20116622
Headwords: 
Copyright © Centre for the Government of Queensland, 2018. All rights reserved.
UQ Logo