Currajong, a residential and industrial suburb, is four km south-west of central Townsville.
'Currajong' was the name of a house in Stagpole Street, West End, owned by Edward Hunt. In about 1888 he planted Currajong trees in the grounds. The house became better known after 1945 when it was remodelled as the Mater Hospital by the Catholic Sisters of Mercy. (After the hospital was transferred to a new site in Pimlico in 1962 'Currajong' was relocated to Castling Street, West End as a heritage centre.)
A postwar working-class suburb adjoining Garbutt, Currajong also has its share of industrial sites. Its State school (in Gulliver, just over the southern boundary) was opened in 1954, and the Catholic primary was opened two years before. When several Catholic primary schools were closed in 1987 the Currajong site was kept for the amalgamated campuses.
There is no comprehensive shopping centre in Currajong, but the site of the Astor Theatre in Dalrymple Road has been upgraded as the Warrina Cineplex (1973). The Townsville museum, ran by a voluntary organisation in High Street, has a large artefact and document collection. Lake Currulea and its adjoining parks was created from a wetland in the 1990s.
Currajong's housing stock is mostly low set and the residents' median income level was slightly below the median for Greater Townsville in 2001. Currajong's census populations have been: