Currimundi is a coastal suburb 3 km north of Caloundra central. Its northern border is the Currimundi Creek (now Currimundi Lake, the watercourse having been blocked by a sand bar). Another nearby waterway is the Coondibah Creek, once backed by an extensive lagoon. Much of it adjoins the Currimundi Recreation Camp, formerly a National Fitness Camp.
It is thought that the name (1845) was derived from an Aboriginal word referring to a place inhabited by the flying foxes.
During World War II Currimundi and the beach areas to its north were used for defence purposes and artillery practice.
The Caloundra real estate firm, Roy Henzell, offered a small parcel of land subdivisions in Currimundi. It was ahead of its time. Currimundi township emerged in the early 1960s, and a State primary school opened in 1977. Development was mostly confined to the eastern side of Nicklin Way, subdivisions not appearing westward until the late 1970s and 1980s. A school site was reserved for 20 or more years until opening as Talara State primary in 1998. Two years later a local drive-in shopping centre was opened: Currimundi Marketplace has a supermarket and 19 other shops and is situated just north of the shops along Nicklin Way. The western boundary of Currimundi lies along what was proposed as a railway from Beerwah to Maroochydore.
In 2009 a sand wall was constructed to protect the entrance to Lake Currimundi following an oil spill of approximately 100,000 litres from a cargo ship.
Dunal erosion from Cyclone Hamish occurred in 2009. The entrance to Currimundi Creek was restored in 2012 after king tides eroded the entrance. Not all threats to the coast were from natural causes. The Council installed a 5 metres x 22 metres screen in a dunal foreshore area in 2012 to thwart the illegal clearing of vegetation to improve beachfront views.
The Sunshine Coast Recreation Centre at Currimundi was upgraded in 2015.
The census populations of Currimundi have been: