Eimeo is an outer suburb of Mackay, 11 km north of the city's centre. It extends from the Mackay-Bucasia Road to a headland at the mouth of Eimeo Creek. There is a short stretch of sand, Eimeo Beach, east of the headland. The name derives from a pastoral run occupied by J.D. Armitage in the 1870s, itself possibly named after Armitage's Tahitian birthplace, claimed to be Eimeo Island.
The headland can be reached by Mango Avenue, which is flanked for about 150 metres by mango shade trees, probably planted in the 1880s. The trees are listed on the Queensland heritage register.
Apart from farming, early industry in the area included a saltworks (1902-07). A State primary school (Eimeo Road State School) servicing local farming families opened in 1934. The Pacific Hotel (known simply as the 'Eimeo Pub') is on the headland, with spectacular ocean views from the beer garden over the Cumberland Islands and Dolphin Heads. The hotel is the successor to Armitage's boarding house and his welcoming mango shade trees.
Shortly after World War II the local shire commissioned the emigrant Viennese architect and planner, Karl Langer, to design change rooms and toilets, but settled on a more prosaic project in 1962.
Eimeo is a rural/residential area with a general store, surf life-saving club and the Mackay Catamaran Club. Its census populations have been: