Elimbah, recently a rural/residential district with extensive State Forest pine plantations in its north, is 7km north of Caboolture and immediately south of Beerburrum. It is thought that the name (1902) was derived from an Aboriginal expression describing the habitat of a water snake.

The township is around the railway station on the North Coast line (1890), and has a primary school (1915), a memorial hall and a Uniting Church.

The rural/residential part is to the south-east, adjoining Caboolture and between the Bruce Highway and the railway/Beerburrum Road corridor. To the west of the township there is one of the Glass House Mountains national parks enclosing Mt Saddleback (109m).

It was on the foothills of Mt Saddleback that European settlers found good grazing country. The State Forests to the north are areas replanted after unsuccessful soldier settler farms in the 1920s-30s. The post office directory (1924) recorded over 50 famers of whom 40 were fruit growers. There were also three sawmills and a teamster. By 1949 only about one-third of the 36 farmers were described as fruit growers, evidence of smallholders being forced out. Fruit growing has continued, however, with a local co-operative at the railway yards.

There is a general store and post office on Beerburrum Road north of the township.

Elimbah's census populations have been:

Census DatePopulation
1921275
1947225
1966150
20063648
20113721
Headwords: 
Copyright © Centre for the Government of Queensland, 2018. All rights reserved.
UQ Logo