Grange, a residential suburb, is five km north-west of central Brisbane. It is immediately south of Kedron Brook.
In the 1860s the Grange tannery began operations, using the brook as an outfall, and in 1903 the Grange Estate, consisting of 16 perch house lots, was put up for sale. It was north-east of the intersection of Grange and Days Roads. The name of the suburb followed on from this, although it was several years before residential growth reached suburban proportions.
Road access was facilitated by the Bowen Bridge (1862) across Breakfast Creek to Lutwyche Road, and the Blackall Bridge (1888) across the Brook drew traffic through the future suburb. Railway service (1899) was some distance south at Wilston. Urbanisation moved toward Grange from two directions, Wilston and Windsor. In 1928 a branch tram service was opened along Days Road from Windsor, and a shopping centre grew at the terminus. East of the shops, at Kedron Brook Road, the Liberty Cinema could seat up to 900 patrons. Schools were already there, a Catholic primary (1917) and Wilston primary (1920) just on Grange's southern boundary.
There are extensive linear parks along Kedron Brook, including Grange Forest Park, and in the middle of the suburb there is Lanham Park with sports facilities and a bowling club.
Grange's census populations have been:
Barry Shaw, comp, Stafford and Wilston-Grange heritage tour, Kelvin Grove, Brisbane History Group, 1995