Hendon is a rural locality 19 km north-west of Warwick, on the Toowoomba to Warwick railway line. The town of Allora is five km north-east of Hendon.
When the southern railway from Toowoomba was started, its first stage ended at Hendon, the railhead for Allora. At first named Allora in 1869, the railhead's name was changed to Hendon in the mid-1870s. The railway was extended past Allora to Goomburra in 1912, and Hendon had livestock yards and a goods shed at the station, together with the Railway Hotel and a primary school (1882-1954). There was also an over-ambitious subdivision of town land, and numerous vacant house blocks remain until this day. The post office directory recorded about 20 farmers at Hendon in the 1920s, about one-third in dairying.
The railway from Goomburra to Allora closed in 1961 and the short piece between Hendon and Allora closed in 1993.
Hendon's census populations have been: