Holland Park and Holland Park West lie north-east and south-west of Logan Road respectively, 6 km south-east of central Brisbane. Until 1967 both were known as Holland Park, and their boundary extended across the South East Freeway into Tarragindi nearly as far as Wellers Hill.
In 1887 the Holland Park reserve (named Mott Park since 1962) was gazetted, at the corner of Logan Road and Abbotsleigh Street. Prior to then, the site and adjoining land were owned by an early settler, Julius Holland. The area was also known as German Bridge (where the German Bridge Hotel was licensed in 1880) and Lower Mount Gravatt, where soldier settlement farms of 8 to 16 acres were established in the 1920s (now Holland Park West).
In 1926 the Logan Road tram was extended from Greenslopes to Holland Park, encouraging residential settlement. A primary school and a post office were opened in 1929. The main outlying place of settlement down Logan Road was Mount Gravatt, leaving Holland Park somewhat bereft of services except for the tram. During 1943-45 Holland Park had a hospital in Nursery Road for American soldiers. When the hospital was vacated it was converted into housing, but some of it was occupied by squatters, a symptom of the postwar housing shortage. Nevertheless, austerity-standard housing was built and Holland Park had a population of about 6000 a few years after the war. There was a Catholic church, convent and St Joachims school (1938) in Yuletide Street, with a Baptist church over the road. Shops lined Logan Road, along with the Mountain View hotel and the Holland Park public hall. Further schools were opened: Holland Park: Cavendish Road high school (1951) and Seville Road primary school (1956- built on part of the US army hospital); and Holland Park West: Marshall Road primary school (1960) and Holland Park high school (1971).
The tram was extended from Holland Park to Mount Gravatt (1951) and five years later a trolley bus service was run down Cavendish Road from the Old Cleveland Road tramline to Elgar Street. Not far from the trolley bus there was a Housing Commission high-rise estate (1961), a project that was demolished 34 years later. Apart from local shops, drive-in centres are in Greenslopes (Logan Road) and Mt Gravatt.
Holland Park and Holland Park West were fully developed by the late 1960s with a combined population of about 20,000. Their published census populations have been:
Brisbane Courier, 5 July 1930