Kawana, a suburb of Rockhampton North, is five km north of the city centre.
When a rural area, Kawana was known as Splitters Creek (a short stream in the south of the suburb) and Glenmore (named after the homestead in Parkhurst, to the north of Kawana).
Glenmore primary school, in the middle of Kawana, was opened in 1889, and Rockhampton's third State secondary school, Glenmore High, was opened in 1975 next to the primary school. The location was beyond the limits of suburbia, and the out-of-town drive-in theatres at Alexandra Avenue and Richardson Road.
In 1970 a barrage was built across the Fitzroy River at Splitters Creek, securing a fresh water supply for Rockhampton's new suburbs, of which Kawana was one. A private school, Cathedral of Praise Christian College, was opened in 1989. Outdoor recreation was provided by a golf course, Capricorn Country Club, on Splitters Creek.
Kawana has substantial parcels of undeveloped land (2008), including an area around the CSIRO tropical beef research centre which is opposite Central Queensland University in Norman Gardens.
In early January 2011 the Fitzroy River flooded Kawana’s western area, particularly along Limestone and Splitters Creeks, reaching Alexandra Street and engulfing the golf course.
Its census populations have been: