Lutwyche, a residential suburb on Lutwyche Road, immediately south of Kedron Brook, is five km north of central Brisbane. It was named after Alfred Lutwyche, a judge of the Supreme Court of New South Wales who was appointed to Moreton Bay upon Queensland being granted self-government in 1859. Lutwyche settled at Kedron Lodge, Nelson Street, Kalinga, overlooking Kedron Brook and donated land on Lutwyche Road for St Andrew's Church of England (1866).
The year after Lutwyche's arrival the Enoggera Creek was bridged, providing a northerly road from Brisbane via Bowen Bridge Road and Lutwyche Road. The road was the start of the route to the Gympie gold field (1867), as well as carrying traffic in the opposite direction from several brickworks in Lutwyche. A post office was opened in 1874.
Lutwyche was under the Shire (later Town) of Windsor (1887), and the council's offices, quarry and school of arts were on the main road just south of present-day Lutwyche; at the time they were considered to be in Lutwyche, which extended as far south as the Windsor State School.
A tram service ran from Brisbane to Bowen Bridge, and in 1914 it was extended up Lutwyche Road nearly to Kedron Brook. The Wooloowin primary school, just beyond the norther boundary of Lutwyche, was opened in the same year. Before the extension of the tram service Lutwyche's population was about 700 people, and Lutwyche Road had a scattering of houses and local shops, a Methodist church (1874) near Wesley Street, and the Kedron Park Hotel near the Anglican church as the road approached Kedron Brook. By the early 1920s there were many more shops and, the Imperial Picture Palace north of Stoneleigh Street. The post office, closed in 1901, was re-opened in 1918. West of Lutwyche Road residential development was assisted by the opening of the tramline to Grange, along Maygar Street, in 1928.
Lutwyche was a mature prewar suburb, with a substantial shopping strip along its main tramline. The line had been extended beyond Kedron Brook in 1925 to Lutwyche Cemetery, a site chosen in 1878 up Gympie Road, well beyond the Lutwyche Village. The shopping strip was also fed by tramlines to Lutwyche Road from Kalinga (1929) and Stafford (1940), and the retail catchment enabled the opening of a drive-in facility in 1974, with two supermarkets and 52 other shops. It was refurbished in 1990.
At risk of being absorbed by the surrounding suburbs of Kedron, Gordon Park, Wooloowin and Windsor in the 1970s, Lutwyche regained its identity partly as a result of its strong shopping strip. Its housing is a mixture of Queenslanders, cottages and medium-density apartments of various ages.
Lutwyche's census populations have been:
Paul Sayer, 'A trusted officer and worthy gentleman: Judge Alfred Lutwyche' in Rod Fisher, ed, Brisbane: people, paces and progress, Kelvin Grove, Brisbane History Group, 1995