Mount Pleasant is a residential suburb of Mackay, six km north-west of the CBD. It was named after the short-lived Mount Pleasant sugar mill, built in 1883-85, but dismantled in 1887 after wet weather and the loss of cheap Kanaka labour made the mill uncompetitive. Sugar growing also ceased, and the former cane land was subdivided for farms.
Originally part of Pioneer Shire, by the 1970s Mount Pleasant was on the fringe of Mackay's urban growth. A drive-in shopping centre (about 80 shops, including discount department stores) opened in 1980, and a State primary school in 1986. Ten years later a sub-regional Catholic primary school and college were built near the outer edge of Mount Pleasant, servicing Mackay's northern suburbs. Mount Pleasant also has a private hospital and a parkland dedicated to the memory of leading Mackay citizens, Mayor and Senator Ian Wood and his mother, Annie.
Mount Pleasant's census population in 2006 was 4118.