Mundoolun is a rural/residential locality immediately west of Tamborine and 15 km north-east of Beaudesert.
In 1842 a licence was taken for the Mundoolun pastoral run, and by 1847 the property was held by John and Anne Collins. The Collins family papers indicate that the name derived from an Aboriginal expression denoting a place of death adders. John's sons, William and Robert, enlarged the family's pastoral holdings, acquiring Ninooinba (south-east of Beaudesert), Tamrookam and Rathdownie (both south of Beaudesert). Robert (1843-1913) also established the North Australian Pastoral Company, was MLA for Albert (1896-98), president of the Queensland Branch of the Royal Geographical Society (1896) and an advocate for national parks. In 1900-02 the sons built a fine Anglican church of local sandstone and cedar at Mundoolun, in memory of their parents. The church and the adjoining family cemetery are heritage-listed.
Mundoolun is an elevated locality with several streams, including Collins Creek, running eastwards to the Albert River. There is a rural/residential subdivision off Mundoolun Road in the north of the locality.
Mundoolun's census populations have been: