Norman Gardens is a suburb four km north-east of central Rockhampton. It is separated from North Rockhampton by Moores Creek. The southern tip of Norman Gardens, on Moores Creek Road, was chosen for the site of the North Rockhampton cemetery (1879), at that time well away from the centre of habitation.

The suburb is reached from North Rockhampton by a bridge over the creek, joining the Bruce Highway, or further north by bridges from Frenchville. The further-most crossing leads to Norman Road, the original name of the suburb, and the Central Queensland University.

The university began as the Queensland Institute of Technology, Capricornia in 1967 and by a series of steps became Central Queensland University in 1992. The campus is at the north of Norman Gardens.

Residential development coincided with the change from college to university. Most houses are low-set brick. Families look to adjoining suburbs for State education, but there are Catholic primary and secondary schools (the latest campuses at Emmaus opening in 2002), and the Norman Park Christian School (1994). Real estate advertisements describe some houses as being close to shops, probably referring to Glenmore Village in Farm Street at the Bruce Highway. Rockhampton Shopping Fair, in neighbouring Park Avenue, is the sub-regional centre with 120 outlets.

Norman Gardens' census populations have been:

census datepopulation
20067587
20118431