North Booval is a residential suburb four km north-east of central Ipswich. It is immediately north of the Ipswich railway line and the Booval station, and is bounded on its east by Bundamba Creek and on its north and most of its west by the Bremer River.
North Booval was named after Booval House, the residence of an Ipswich bank manager, George Faircloth. The name may have derived from an Aboriginal expression referring to a frilled lizard.
Most early development was around the railway, and it was near these that the Booval Brewery opened in 1898. It had a 35 feet high tower. Renamed the West Moreton Brewery in 1900, it was decommissioned in 1906 when the equipment was moved to Toowoomba. There was also the Booval Butter Factory, run by Queensland Farmers Co-op Co Ltd, and now part of the Dairy Farmers organisation.
North Booval has a linear reserve next to the Bundamba Creek and much of the other land beside the creek and Bremer River is undeveloped.
With the Bremer River and Bundamba Creek forming over four fifths of North Booval’s boundaries, there was plenty of low-lying land for the January 2011 floods. As expected, that was covered by water, which also went into adjoining built-up areas such as a retirement village in Gledson Street.
North Booval's census populations have been: