North Toowoomba, a residential suburb, extends from the Toowoomba railway yards to Harlaxton. It is separated from central Toowoomba by the Mort Estate (1862), a locality now part of Toowoomba Central but which includes the North Toowoomba primary school (1869).
North Toowoomba's dominant physical feature is the inwards and outwards railway network which converge on the station and yards in the Mort Estate. Running more or less parallel to the railway is the Gowrie Creek, the swampy waterway that originally drew settlers to Toowoomba.
North Toowoomba has a colonial and early twentieth century housing stock. It has particular appeal to home buyers, and in 2004-05 the median house price rose 32%, the highest of all Toowoomba suburbs. Although without schools, North Toowoomba has five churches, and local shops near North Street. Other local shops are found in West Street, Mort Estate, near the Catholic primary school (1916).
The census population of North Toowoomba in 2006 was 3062.