Parkhurst, an outer suburb of Rockhampton, is nine km north of the city centre. It is on both the Bruce Highway and the North Coast railway line.
The suburb's oldest place of European habitation is the Glenmore Homestead near the Fitzroy River. Settled in the late 1850s, Glenmore's surviving buildings include a log cabin (1859) and a slab house (1891), which are listed on the Queensland heritage register. Within a decade Glenmore came under the farm selection law and a rural community, including several German families, grew there. Parkhurst primary school on the Bruce Highway was opened in 1900.
Located beyond the boundary of post World War II urban growth, Parkhurst was chosen for industrial activities. There are two industrial estates, east and west of the railway line, and a water-treatment plant for Rockhampton, west of the homestead. Later cultural and historic sites were marked out, far beyond the drive-in picture theatres in Kawana: the Rockhampton Heritage Village, the Aboriginal Dreamtime cultural centre and a music sound shell are in the vicinity of Central Queensland University. There are also several caravan parks near the primary school. The census population of Parkhurst was 1838 in 2006.
There was extensive flooding from the Fitzroy River in January 2011 along riverside areas and back up Ramsay Creek. Glenmore homestead was above the floodwaters, and the cultural locations on the Bruce Highway were well away from inundation.