Purga is a rural locality 14 km south of central Ipswich. The name is thought to derive from an Aboriginal word describing a meeting place. Purga Creek has its headwaters in the Boonah Scenic Rim and flows northwards through Purga to the Bremer River.

The Purga primary school opened in 1871 and closed in 1967.

In 1882 the railway from Ipswich to Harrisville was opened, with a stop at Purga. Five years later the Purga, or Deebing Creek, Aboriginal Mission opened. Its location was at the end of South Deebing Creek Road, and there are remains of terracing and historic tree plantings. Better preserved is the Aboriginal cemetery (1914) in Carmichaels Road, up against an RAAF reserve. The mission was moved west to between the end of Carmichaels Road and the creek in 1914. It had a school and several huts, and operated until 1948. There was also a United Church (1922) between the mission and the old school. The first mission site, the cemetery and the church (now in Purga School Road) are listed on the Queensland heritage register.

The Purga local government division was formed in 1879 and administered an area of 116 sq miles. Its offices were in Bundamba, an area with numerous coal mines. Although Purga village was rural, the council's area was substantially urban. Purga was absorbed by Moreton Shire in 1917. The census populations of Purga division/shire were:

Census DatePopulation
18811848
18913018
19114555

Purga village / locality's census populations have been:

Census DatePopulation
1911125
1921204
1961137
2006678
2011600

The village area has a music museum in the community centre, which includes material on the singer, Harold Blair, who grew up on the Purga Mission.

Further Reading: 

Daniel Habermann, Deebing Creek and Purga Missions 1892-1948, Ipswich City Council, 2003