Rasmussen, a residential suburb, is 14 km south-west of central Townsville. It is bounded on the east and west by the Ross and Bohle Rivers respectively. It was named by Thuringowa Council in 1968 after Jorgen and Bodild Rasmussen, dairy farmers on the Ross River (1871).

Rasmussen was one of four new suburbs that came about as urbanisation spread along the Ross River in the 1970s, beyond Townsville's municipal boundary.

Rasmussen's 'social centre' is on its southern boundary (adjoining the suburb of Kelso) where there are a State primary school (1978), the Catholic Good Shepherd community centre and church and a sports ground. Apex has also provided a riverside park, opposite the Upper Ross Hotel on the main road.

Rasmussen's census populations have been:

census datepopulation
20064161
20114263