Taabinga, a rural locality and former village settlement, is six km south of Kingaroy and 150 km north-west of Brisbane.

It was named after the Taabinga pastoral station, taken up probably in 1842 by Charles and William Haly. Their homestead, begun in 1846 and built with local sandstone and timbers, has a second storey verandahed vestibule probably used as a lookout. It is about 10 km south-west of Taabinga and is on the Australian heritage register.

Taabinga had an area of about 800 sq km, which was halved in 1886 for closer-settlement. In the following year the Taabinga Village reserve was surveyed and gazetted. Although nearly 130 residents were recorded in the 1901 census, the village was well below its intended population until a railway was within a reasonable proximity. Extension of the line to Kingaroy in 1904 appears to have attracted many new settlers to the 40 acre farm blocks, and in 1907 the village had four shops and stores, a hall, an Anglican church, a school (1897) and two hotels. The Grand Hotel, large, spacious and up-to-date was burnt down in 1923. A railway extension arrived at Taabinga in 1915, en route to Tarong.

The railway, the subject of several years of lobbying, did not bring prosperity to Taabinga. Drought and poverty drove people off their farms, and there was a complete lack of demand by any prospective new settlers. The Taabinga homestead, on 1500 acres, outlasted most of the original settler families. About 15 km south-west of Kingaroy, on the Bunya Highway, there is the Taabinga Lutheran Church and cemetery. Taabinga's school was open from 1887 to 1961.

Taabinga's census populations were:

Census DatePopulation
1901129
1911526
1933123
196163
2006612
2011554

Tony Matthews, Landscapes of change: a history of the South Burnett, Wondai, South Burnett Local Government Association, 1997

Headwords: 
Copyright © Centre for the Government of Queensland, 2018. All rights reserved.
UQ Logo