Tabragalba was a local-government division formed in 1879, the forerunner of the Beaudesert Shire (1902). It had an area of over 900 sq miles, extending from Maclean to the border ranges.
Tabragalba is now a rural district immediately east of Beaudesert township. It was named after the Tabragalba pastoral station (1843), and the name is thought to have derived from an Aboriginal expression describing a mythical nulla nulla.
The Tabragalba division was at first headquartered at Veresdale, nine km north of Beaudesert. Veresdale had been the site of a cotton plantation (1860-63), pioneered by Robert Towns (later of Townsville fame) who also attempted to establish the 'Townsville' settlement. Veresdale, however, was the name of the district's centre, and it had a court house, Protestant chapel, hotel and store. Tabragalba division met in the Veresdale court house before transferring to Beaudesert in 1880.
Tabragalba division's census population in 1881 was 1349.
Beaudesert Shire entry