Bakers Creek, a residential locality, is 9 km south-west of central Mackay. It was named after John T. Baker who was appointed as customs officer to the new port of Mackay in 1863. Baker also served as harbour master, a justice of the peace and as a police magistrate.

The Bakers Creek waterway has headwaters in the vicinity of the Pleystowe sugar mill in the Pioneer Valley and enters the ocean as an inland bay. The township is at the point where the Bruce Highway intersects with the North Coast railway line. Its railway station (1913) was named Dundula.

Although situated in a sugar growing area, Bakers Creek has never hosted a sugar mill. Its position on the highway and railway line, however, made it the choice for government-financed abattoirs in 1965. Local livestock supplies could not provide an economic throughput and the abattoirs was sold to Borthwicks in 1967, a firm which could truck in extra livestock.

Bakers Creek has the Dundula primary school (1922) a hotel-motel, a caravan park and local businesses. Construction of a sewerage-treatment and water-recycling plant was completed in 2008 and provided recycled water for about 3200 hectares of sugarcane.

In 2010 the Mackay Regional Council identified Bakers Creek as one of the main residential growth areas for Mackay in the future 10 to 20 years.

Bakers Creek's census populations have been:

Census DatePopulation

Copyright © Centre for the Government of Queensland, 2018. All rights reserved.

UQ Logo