Bribie Island

Bribie Island, separated from the mainland by the narrow Pumicestone channel, is 45 km north of Brisbane at the point where the Bribie Bridge crosses the channel. It is thought that the name was derived from an Aboriginal expression, 'Boorabee', referring to a koala or the island itself.

The island was seen by the explorer Matthew Flinders in 1799, where he named Skirmish Point at its southern end. Bribie Island is 34 km from north to south, including the spit extending nearly to Caloundra, and has a maximum width of 8 km.

Further Reading: 

Bribie Island holiday guide, annual

Stan Tutt, From spear and musket 1879-1979: Caboolture centenary, Caboolture Shire Council, 1979

W.R.F. Love, Bribie dreaming: The original island inhabitants, Bribie Island, L. Love, 1994

Warwick Outram, Heritage tales of Bribie Island: jewel of the Glass House coast, Bribie Island, Books and Magazines, 1994, rev 2011

Warwick Outram, Bribie and the koala, Bongaree, Warwick Outram, 2006

Warwick Outram, Bribie Island: people and places, Bongaree, Warwick Outram Publications, 2011

Warwick Outram, Bribie from the beginning, Bongaree, Warwick Outram, 2011

James G. Lergessner, Bribie Island's seaside culture: a potted history and heritage, Woorim, JG Lergessner, c2011


Copyright © Centre for the Government of Queensland, 2018. All rights reserved.

UQ Logo