Hervey Bay

Hervey Bay, enclosed by the north part of Fraser Island on its east and the coastline extending from Bundaberg to Urangan, was named by Lieutenant James Cook in 1770. Augustus John Hervey (1724-79), 3rd Earl of Bristol, was a career naval officer, commander in chief of the Mediterranean (1763) and in line for a lordship of the Admiralty (1771). Described as active and brave, but reckless and over-confident, he died without a legitimate heir.

Further Reading: 

Frances Chan, Hervey Bay and the Fraser Coast, Rockhampton, Central Queensland University Press, 1999

Joan Christiansen, They came ... and stayed: a history of Hervey Bay, Pialba, R. & J. McTaggart, 1991

Aldershot, Antigua Shire, Burrum Shire, Burrum Heads, Dundowran Beach, Hervey Bay suburbs, Howard, Kawungan, Maryborough, Pialba, Point Vernon, Scarness, Tinana, Toogoom, Torbanlea, Torquay, Urangan and Urraween entries


Copyright © Centre for the Government of Queensland, 2018. All rights reserved.

UQ Logo