Nambour, a town, is 90 km north of central Brisbane and 12 km inland from Maroochydore. It is on Petrie Creek, and until 1890 was known by that name. 'Nambour', or possibly 'Nambah' was the name of a farm taken up by William Samwell in the early 1870s, and it is thought that the name was derived from an Aboriginal word describing tea-tree bark.

Further Reading: 

A. Blyth and B. Want, Pictorial history of Nambour, Sunshine Coast, Nambour and District Historical Museum Association Inc, 2008

B. Alcorn and R. Dunn, Moreton sugar mill - sweet heart of Nambour, Nambour, the authors, 1997

Sarah Morgan, The shop window: celebrating 10 years of the Sunshine Coast Show, the author, 2005

Helen Gregory, Making Maroochy: a history of the land, the people and the shire, Brisbane, Boolarong with Maroochy Shire Council, 1991

Ray Kerkhove, Aboriginal Nambour, Nambour, Interactive Community Planning, 2009

Burnside and Coes Creek entries


Copyright © Centre for the Government of Queensland, 2018. All rights reserved.

UQ Logo