Thompson Estate, a former suburb of Brisbane now in Annerley, was bounded by Cornwall Street, the Ekibin reserves (formerly Burnett Swamp), Junction Terrace and Ipswich Road. It was owned by Joseph Thompson who subdivided it for housing in the mid-1880s. Its north-south streets had regal and vice-regal names, from Emperor to Knight.

In 1888 the growth of housing in Buranda and Thompson Estate led to the opening of a provisional school in Oxford Street, Buranda. Five years later, with a much larger school population, the Thompson Estate Provisional School was transferred to Waldheim Street (near Annerley Junction) and named Junction Park. The Ipswich Road tram ended at Cornwall Street, but in 1899 the service was extended to Dudley Street, just past the school.

Churches were built in the north of the Thompson Estate sharing their catchments with Buranda. Anglican and Apostolic churches are in Cornwall Street and a Presbyterian church is in King Street. Shopping grew at the suburb's extremities, at Annerley Junction and Buranda Plaza (previously a tram depot in Cornwall Street). When the Plaza opened in 1978 the Southeast Freeway had been operational for over a year. The Freeway divided the eastern third of Thompson Estate from its western part, and the place name was discarded, except for the Thompson Estate Reserve along the Ekibin Parklands.

Thompson Estate's census populations were:

Census Date Population
1911 1347
1921 1124

Annerley entry


Copyright © Centre for the Government of Queensland, 2018. All rights reserved.

UQ Logo