Wellington Point, a suburb on Moreton Bay, is 21 km east of central Brisbane. It was named by the colonial surveyor James Warner, probably as a compliment to the Duke of Wellington. The point is a slender, northwards promontory with picnic facilities and a sailing club at its end.

The area was originally part of Louis Hope's Ormiston estate, and was associated with his early attempts at sugar growing. A sugar mill was successfully converted to a timber mill, which continued until the 1890s. A school was opened in 1887 and a Methodist church in 1888. In common with the Redcliffe Peninsula, Wellington Point was the subject of speculative subdividers, but unlike Redcliffe it had a timely railway connection (1887). By 1901 Wellington Point had 270 people. Apart from timber and land subdivisions, Wellington Point formed an Agriculture, Horticulture and Industries Association (1890). There were dairying, citrus and other fruits, vegetables and displays by coach-builders at its shows. The Agriculture, Horticulture and Industries Association held its last show in 1939, but suburban growth was minor until the 1970s.

Wellington Point has retained a reputation as a popular picnic spot, with views across Moreton Bay. In Main Road, near Marlborough Road, several historic cottages and Whepstead Manor can be seen. The Manor (1889) is a two-storey verandahed boom-style residence set in spacious, mature gardens. It is listed on the Queensland heritage register. There are craft and gift shops, along with restaurants and weekend live entertainment. South of the Point there is an extensive wetland, and there are linear reserves along Hilliard and Tarradarrapin Creeks. Wellington Point has State primary and high schools (1887, 1988), Redlands College and several ovals and sports facilities next to the schools. Its census populations have been:

Census DatePopulation

Barry Kidd, Redlands Illustrated History, Capalaba, B. Kidd, 1979

'The orchard: fruit and vegetable growing on the Cleveland line', Queensland Agricultural Journal, December 1906, p. 284


Copyright © Centre for the Government of Queensland, 2018. All rights reserved.

UQ Logo