Witta is a rural village in the Blackall Range, seven km north-west of Maleny and 35 km west of Mooloolaba.

In about 1887 the Nothling family settled in the Blackall Range, and their place of settlement was known as Teutoburgh. It has been speculated that the Nothlings, or other German families, came from the Teutoburgh forest region, east of Munster in northern Germany. Teutoburgh town reserve was proclaimed in 1888. The Teutoburgh vine scrub was cleared for farms, producing prolific corn crops and milk for cheese making. A provisional school was opened in 1892, the same year as the Lutheran Pastor E. Becker of South Brisbane organised regular church services. A church was built in 1893, but came under dissension and the congregation remained so until re-united in 1902. A new church was dedicated in 1911. Both the church and the Lutheran cemetery in Witta Road continue.

In 1916 anti-German feeling led to Teutoburgh being renamed Witta; the new name is thought to have derived from an Aboriginal expression for 'dingo'. About half the farmers recorded in the post office directories had German names, and over half of the sixty farmers were recorded as dairy farmers. There was also a sawmill in the 1930s – 40s.

The Witta primary school closed in 1974, but the school building continues in use as a public hall. There are also a general store, a recreation reserve, a tennis club and a conservation reserve. Willa's census populations have been:

Census DatePopulation

Copyright © Centre for the Government of Queensland, 2018. All rights reserved.

UQ Logo