Albany Creek

Albany Creek, on the south side of South Pine River, is 16 km north of Central Brisbane.

Albany Creek joins the river a few kilometres east of the township, and was originally known as Chinaman's Creek. The change of name to Albany Creek was made in 1885 at the request of local petitioners who stated that no 'Chinaman' lived there and apparently preferred the new name for sentimental reasons.

Further Reading: 

Leith Barter, Pioneering the Pine: a short history of the Pine Rivers Shire, Strathpine, Pine Rivers Shire Council, 2005

D.R. Teague, The history of Albany Creek, Bridgeman Downs and Eaton's Hill, Stafford, Colonial Press, 1980


Copyright © Centre for the Government of Queensland, 2018. All rights reserved.

UQ Logo