Bluff, a rural town, is on the Capricorn Highway, 150 km west of Rockhampton, and 25 km east of Blackwater.

Originally known as Duckworth Creek, the name was changed in about 1877 when the Great Western railway from Rockhampton was opened. A nearby hill was referred to as Arthur's Bluff. Settlement around Bluff was furthered by coal mining in the early 1900s, and a school was opened in 1907. Until the 1950s Bluff's population was barely over 100, and Pugh's Queensland directory (1924) recorded only two stores, the Bluff Hotel and the Bluff colliery.

Further Reading: 

Duaringa Shire, 100 years of local government 1881-1981, Duaringa, Duaringa Shire Council, 1981


Copyright © Centre for the Government of Queensland, 2018. All rights reserved.

UQ Logo