Bridgeman Downs

Bridgeman Downs, a residential suburb, is 12 km north-east of central Brisbane. It was gazetted as a suburb in 1977 and named after Henry Bridgeman who settled on the area north of Albany Creek Road bounded by Albany Creek, Beams Road and Bridgeman Road (1860).

Bridgeman's land was acquired by the Queensland Immigration Society and used for pig raising and field crops. It was farmed for 80 years until subdivided in 1957. The area was treated as an outlying part of Aspley, and as late as 1966 the Brisbane City Council acquired a section for the Pinaroo lawn cemetery.

Further Reading: 

D.R. Teague, The history of Albany Creek, Bridgeman Downs and Eatons Hill, Stafford, Colonial Press, 1980


Copyright © Centre for the Government of Queensland, 2018. All rights reserved.

UQ Logo