Bucasia, a coastal township, is 12 km north-west of central Mackay.

In 1876 the Reverend Father Pierre Bucas selected 1680 acres of second class coastal land north of Mackay, subsequently enlarging it by further purchases, to provide a new home for local displaced Aborigines. Ultimately it became an orphanage, but it was thought that it was in a malarial environment and it was moved to Rockhampton. The area was named Seaview, but in 1938 it was renamed Bucasia in remembrance of Father Bucas and to avoid confusion with several other Seaviews in Australia.


Copyright © Centre for the Government of Queensland, 2018. All rights reserved.

UQ Logo