Smithfield, a residential suburb, is 14 km north-west of central Cairns. It is one of the earliest named localities in the Cairns region.

The Hodgkinson gold field (1876) was at first supplied from Port Douglas, but a William Smith cut a track across the Lamb Range to Trinity Bay (Cairns). Smithfield was created as a landing place on the Barron River in 1876, but it was prone to flooding and superseded when better overland routes were created. The surveyed town was at the end of today's Redford Road, down from the Caravonica School.


Copyright © Centre for the Government of Queensland, 2018. All rights reserved.

UQ Logo