It was named after Mount Stapylton (152 m), which was named by surveyor Robert Dixon after his assistant, Granville Stapylton, in 1840. Mount Stapylton, also known by the Aboriginal 'Joongavin' and as 'Yellowwood Hill', is north of the end of Yellowwood Road. It is enclosed on three sides by a quarry and overhead there is a power transmission line. (Yellowwood is the common name for the furniture-timber tree, Flindersia xanthoxyla.)


Copyright © Centre for the Government of Queensland, 2018. All rights reserved.

UQ Logo