Tinana, on the south side of the Mary River, is reached by the Lamington Bridge from central Maryborough. Its first semi-urban European settler was the Wide Bay Commissioner of Lands, John Carne Bidwell, who built his house, 'Tinana', near the junction of the Tinana Creek and the river in 1849. By 1852 Tinana had a wharf, sawpits, a store and trade with leasehold pastoralists. Several farms were taken up along Tinana Creek, including the Eatonvale sugar plantation.

Further Reading: 

Maryborough Wide Bay & Burnett Historical Society, A history of Maryborough Queensland 1842-1997, Maryborough, The Society, 1998

Jocelyn Kemp, Tinana State School: 125 years of memories 1875-2000, Maryborough, Tinana State School P & C Association, 2000


Copyright © Centre for the Government of Queensland, 2018. All rights reserved.

UQ Logo