Walsh Shire

Walsh Shire (1889-1932) began with an area of about 4100 sq miles, which was reduced to about 3300 sq miles by the 1930s. It was headquartered at Irvinebank, a mining town 80 km south-west of Cairns. The shire was named after the Walsh River. One of the river's tributaries starts near Irvinebank, and the Walsh joins the Mitchell River half way across Cape York.

The Walsh River was named by William Hann, explorer and pastoralist, in 1872; William Walsh was the Parliamentary Secretary for Public Works (1870-73).

Further Reading: 

Irvinebank, Stannary Hills, Herberton Minerals Area and Woothakata Shire entries


Copyright © Centre for the Government of Queensland, 2018. All rights reserved.

UQ Logo