Waterford and Waterford Shire

Waterford is a suburb on the east side of the Logan River where it is crossed by the road from Kingston to Beenleigh. It is 7 km south-east of Logan Central.

In about 1863 a ferry service across the Logan River began in the vicinity of Waterford and three years later the place was named, probably a reference to the water crossing place or to Waterford in Ireland. A school was opened in 1869. On the other side of the river, Waterford West, there was a farm settlement around the Tygum Lagoon, and the Morning Star Hotel was built there in about 1871.

Further Reading: 

Mary Howells, Ridge to ridge: recollections from Woodridge to Park Ridge, Logan, Logan City Council, 2006

Michael Jones, Country of five rivers: Albert Shire 1788-1988, North Sydney: Allen & Unwin, 1988

Waterford West entry

Copyright © Centre for the Government of Queensland, 2018. All rights reserved.

UQ Logo