Walkerston, a rural town on the Peak Downs Highway is six km west of Mackay. Situated on Bakers Creek in a sugar cane area, the settlement was known as Scrubby Creek in the late 1860s and early 1870s. It was probably named after John Walker, proprietor of the Fort Cooper pastoral station (Nebo) who took over John Mackay's Greenmount estate and the Homebush station in 1879.

Further Reading: 

Pat Hamilton, Sugar from the scrub: a pictorial history of Walkerston, Moorooka, Qld, Boolarong Press with P. Hamilton, 1994

John Kerr, Pioneer pageant, Mackay, Pioneer Shire Council, 1980

J.M Andrew et al, Walkerston State School, 1947


Copyright © Centre for the Government of Queensland, 2018. All rights reserved.

UQ Logo